Operationally, the practice model will define tasks and activities to be performed by staff on the front line. These tasks and activities will be related to practices informed by evidence and focused on ensuring children grow up in safe and permanent environments and that their educational, medical and mental health needs are addressed. For a practice model to be effective, core values, principles and standards of the practice model are understood by staff in all levels of the agency and carried out in the following way operationally:
- Leadership holds the agency accountable for implementation of the practice model on a day-to-day basis.
- Middle management makes linkages to the practice model when developing policy and processes.
- Supervisors monitor and assess the implementation of the practice model in the daily performance by frontline staff.
- Staff connect the practice model to their daily work with families and communities.
- The Information Technology function provides reliable data on the outcome measures identified in the practice model for use by staff at every level of the organization.
- The fiscal function develops budgets that support acquisition of resources needed to implement the practice model.
- The HR function recruits, orients and provides ongoing professional development opportunities that assist staff at all levels of the agency in understanding and implementing the practice model in daily operations.
- The training function uses organizational and individual needs assessments to identify areas needing improvement. The training function uses information gathered to develop and deliver training and technical assistance support for ongoing implementation and practice of the model.
- The policy function formulates policy that supports the development of key processes in the implementation of the practice model.
- The quality assurance function provides reliable data from record reviews and focus groups from staff from all levels of the agency and children, youth, families and community members on the service array and outcome measures defined in the practice model for use in decision-making and planning.
Success is demonstrated by all staff being able to articulate and implement practice model values while completing planned work efforts and all key process areas being aligned with the stated agency mission, vision, values and outcomes.